Greek English
 
Home Page / What to know / Religious Life / Old Church of Saints Constantinos and Eleni
Print this page
Old Church of Saints Constantinos and Eleni

The old and smaller church of Saints Constantinos and Eleni is located in the southeast edge of the village. As of 2006 when the new church of Saints Constantinos and Eleni began operating, the old church has been used as a chapel. It is worth mentioning, however, that the old church of Saints Constantinos and Eleni has been declared a Second Degree Monument by the department of Antiquities. 

Although the evidence testify the existence of the church since the 18th century, according to an inscription in the northern side of the church, the church’s inauguration ceremony was held in the middle of the 20th century and in particular in 1946. What is more, there used to be a Byzantine Monastery at the point where the church is now built. In fact, Moullotou mentions that the name “Monastery is referred on the land registry titles of the area” (p.66) even today.

As far as its architecture is concerned, the church belongs to the single-roomed churches with a wooden roof. Internally, it is adorned by 19th century chancel bearing icons dated between the years 1830 – 1895.

 
 
 August 2018

MTWTFSS
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031 
 
 
CONTACT US
 
COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF AGIOS KONSTANTINOS
Megalou Constantinou 27
4561, Lemesos
Tel: 25542410, 99630508, 99586532
Fax: 25542210
E-mail: info@agioskonstantinos.org
 
 
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc